Tooth decay is a common issue that can develop even when you maintain a great daily oral hygiene routine and visit the dentist for regular cleanings. According to the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, roughly 91% of American adults between the ages of 20 and 64 have developed cavities in their teeth. While tooth decay is relatively minor in its early stages, it can result in the development of more serious oral health issues down the road if it’s not properly treated in a timely manner.
Dental fillings are one of the most common treatments for cavities. Without a filling, a cavity will continue to grow and consume your tooth structure until there is no longer enough left to save. At Stephens & Gatewood Dentistry, we provide tooth-colored fillings that uphold your tooth’s natural appearance while restoring its strength and integrity.
If you have a cavity, make sure you repair the damage before it leads to more serious problems. Please call 281-320-2000 today to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in Spring, Conroe, The Woodlands and throughout the North Houston area.
Using the Finest Quality Materials for your Dental Fillings
At Stephens & Gatewood Dentistry, we’re committed to using the highest quality materials in order to deliver the best possible results for your dental restoration. As part of this commitment, we are a metal-free practice. Composite, tooth-colored fillings are safer, more durable, and blend in seamlessly with your smile.
Tooth-colored fillings are made from either a composite resin material or dental porcelain. After removing the decay from your tooth, our dentists will apply this filling material in layers in order to restore the strength and function of your tooth. A special light is then used to harden the filling material, ensuring it properly bonds to your tooth.
In situations where there is a large amount of decay, our dentists may recommend porcelain inlays and onlays or a dental crown to achieve the best possible results.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings offer a number of advantages compared to metal fillings:
- Greater conservation of tooth structure – Tooth-colored fillings require less of your natural tooth structure to be removed compared to metal fillings. This will help preserve the strength of your tooth.
- Reduced risk of tooth fracture – Metal fillings expand and contract due to changes in temperature. Over time, this can cause your tooth to crack or fracture. Tooth-colored fillings eliminate this issue.
- Improved function – The composite resin and dental porcelain materials used in tooth-colored fillings can be securely bonded to your tooth structure, creating a tight seal that blocks infectious oral bacteria from entering the interior layers of your tooth. Metal fillings aren’t able to achieve the same tight seal.
- Improved dental health – Because they can protect your tooth longer and more effectively, tooth-colored fillings reduce the risk of additional decay and the potential need for root canal therapy or tooth extraction down the road.
- Improved aesthetics – Metal fillings can be an eyesore, creating splotches of metal in your tooth that are easily visible to others. The materials used in tooth-colored fillings mimic the appearance of your natural teeth and blend in seamlessly with your smile.
Replacing Old Metal Fillings with Tooth-Colored Fillings
If you have old metal fillings, our dentists can remove them and replace them with composite or porcelain fillings. There are several reasons to consider replacing old metal fillings with tooth-colored fillings:
- Improved durability
- Reduced risk of tooth fracture
- Eliminates the potential risk of mercury toxicity
- Reduced risk of tooth sensitivity
Contact our Spring, TX Dentists
If you have a cavity or would like to replace an old metal filling with a porcelain filling, please call 281-320-2000 today to schedule an appointment. Stephens & Gatewood Dentistry serves patients in Spring, Conroe, The Woodlands and throughout the North Houston area.